Saturday, August 21, 2010

Why is Effective Communication Important to me?

Being the only child in the family means that the only people I get to communicate with at home will be my parents and occasionally a couple of elders who might be staying over. These people are nice people who dote on me. However, frequently, I feel that it is difficult to hold a lengthy conversation with them over certain issues. Perhaps this can be attributed to the fact that I lack good communication skills.

Since I am the only child and do not get to speak much at home, I tend to speak a lot when I am out with friends or in school. When a conversation starts, I can go on and on non-stop. Very often, I will forget a very important factor of communication – to listen.

Aspiring to be a teacher in the near future, I feel that effective communication is one of the most important skills I will need to grasp in order to excel in my job. In today’s context, being a teacher is not just about teaching, it is about reaching out to the students too.  To be able to do so, it is pertinent that I am able to connect with students – to guide them along and also, to listen to them. With effective communicative skills, I am certain that I can, on top of delivering academic content effectively to them, give them guidance on the other aspects of life. 

6 comments:

  1. Is it the generation gap? There are perhaps too few topics to discuss with the elders? I can totally resonate with your situation, man.

    PS: Stephy is going to be a teacher too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Stanley,

    I may understand how you feel because I often face the same problem. I am not sure whether it is the lack of communication skills or the lack of common interests with the elders. It is probably a combination of both.

    As someone who enjoys listening to people more than doing the talking, talkative people are very much welcome, as long as they remember to listen too.

    And I really hope you follow through with what you said, because our schools need more teachers like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this concise and clear post, Stanley, because you precisely present two ways in which effect comm skills are vital to you, both at home and in your future career.

    As for the needs in your teaching, you have zoomed in on exactly the area that a teacher needs most: reaching out/ connecting with students. Of course, various comm skills, including -- as you mention -- listening, are imperative here.

    Best of luck as you work to develop those talents!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I second what Brad actually said, your post is indeed concise and clear.

    Don't dwell too much on not being able to hold a long decent conversation with people from an older generation. As we all know, sometimes (and unknowingly), the body language of the people we are communicating with, might have subtlely hinted their lack of interest in maintaining a conversation with us. In addition, some of them might tend to be more introvert, and would require a longer time to warm up to an individual.

    That being said, it's great to hear that you have not given up hope in communicating with them. I guess by understanding their individual nature and interest. In no time, they will be the one who just can't wait to share with you their extensive life experiences. (:

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Stanley
    Not to worry. I really don't think that you're the only person with that problem. Sometimes its because we live in such different times that we really don't know what to say to each other. The very lack of knowledge of each others' 'culture' is itself a barrier we have to work to overcome. One way is to spend more time together.
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahax YS, we are all young people, of course you can understand how I feel. I guess many people in Science would end up in the teaching field? =S

    And Yitong, Thanks for the encouragement. =P

    May, listen to me talk throughout the mod and you will hate me. LolX

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete