Sunday, November 14, 2010

What is ES2007S?

If I have to choose one word to describe ES2007S, it would definitely be MEMORABLE. The people I meet, the activities we did, the jokes we cracked. These would certainly become be part of me for the rest of my life.

These 13 weeks spent in ES2007S is definitely worth it. Throughout the course, we have discussed about many issues relating to communication. The different assignments such as blogging, peer teaching, cover letter drafting, proposal writing and oral presentations have definitely sharpened my communication skills.

I realized the importance of “expectation” in communication. When two people having different expectations for a certain issues, the communication process would not be effective. Looking at the blog post on cultural differences would clearly illustrate my point (Steph’s blog post about the eel).

Through this course, I have also learnt to collaborate with people through the group assignments. Working with my team mates has really shown me the power of group work; what one man alone cannot achieve.

Being exposed to the various styles of presentation made me realized how different styles can influence different groups of audience, how sharing personal experiences and some humour can make a presentation more impressionable and entertaining. “Presentation is about you, not the slides”. This is something I will bear in mind for my future presentations.

The little tips that I picked up through this course would definitely serve me well as teacher in future. The course may have ended but the relationships we have fostered have not. Examination is round the corner. Work hard! Lastly, Brad, lessons for ES2007S was definitely enriching and relaxing. Is there a ES3007S? =D

12 comments:

  1. It has really been interesting hasn’t it. This module. Actually I don’t really know what to say here. haha.. what are your expectation for comments you’ll be getting? =D I think it’s better to go into something without any expectation, but I think it would be impossible to have absolutely no expectation yah. =D

    Anyway it was really fun working with you especially during the mock interviews. Cya around.. haha!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha Daniel, the process was tiring with the many datelines to meet; basically fighting fire. I have to agree that when you go into something with expectation, you will always be happy when it is completed. However, if that is the case, you would not even have started doing it right?

    I think it would be good if you have some expectations that are realistic, something which can be achieved. When you achieved it, that is when you will really feel satisfied.

    Mock interview was definitely one of the best activity we did in class. You get to torture people (and get tortured) and get away with it because it is "official" yet it is not graded! Lolx. Still remember the look on Wei Ping's face when he was tasked to sell the pathetic pencil in 60 seconds. ^5 Daniel! (and sorry WP, it was all for your own good ^^)

    Lastly, Daniel, you are suppose to compliment me that my blog is concise, with less than 300 words! Ha!

    Take care my friend, be sure to keep in contact. Get a fb account! If not, make sure you check your blog from now on. It shall be the place I will leave messages. =P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Stanley, for this reflection (though the title is rather ominous!). I'm glad that you feel that the course has "sharpened my(your) communication skills." Since you intend on becoming a teacher, that is particularly important, but then I'd say effective comm skills will be relevant to anyone, no matter what the chosen career.

    You don't actually discuss any of the referred to skills, but you do suggest that the assignments we completed helped you in this regard. Aside from the various teamwork opportunities you've had, and the presentation skills you've honed, what skills do you see as vital for a future teacher? It would be interesting for me to know just what you think we teachers really need in order to do what we do so as to increase effectiveness.

    In any case, best of luck with your future learning journey, Stanley!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Brad for the comment. I started with a ~250 blog post and intend to end it with a ~250 blog post. Guess it turned out to be not as clear I guess. I will think about it and add in more thoughts into the blog post.

    Thanks for all the guidance and advice along they way! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha.. ok fine.. you have a concise post okay! ahah.. children.. sigh.. *shakes head* haha...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey stanley!

    I've always believe in teamwork, a strong team produces great result, while weak team presents patchy project.. This quote from John Maxwell speaks it well: One is too small a number to achieve greatness! We will always need one another =D

    Though this module may seem to require much work, however, I believe that it's definitely worth it as you've mentioned.

    Continue to learn, and remember to teach your students how to learn, if not, they will become just like me....=( Hey, maybe you can also learnt from the ways Brad conducted his lessons, to add some spice to your students' lives in the future =D

    YC

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Stanley,
    The very first thing I want to do is to thank u for running out of class help our group to see where is Jonathan~I just felt moved and touchable about your gentle behaviour. Thank you very much!
    I could see how you have been changing through the module, the way you communicate, the way you present and the way you write. You indeed improved a lot~
    I felt pretty the same way as you felt about this module. You are a very responsible person and you are very patient and again, very gentleman~
    All the best for your coming exam----s~

    ReplyDelete
  8. O.o

    Seems like Stanley is a great candidate of the "can-bring-home-and-let-mama-see" kind of guy =D

    hahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  9. omg..!! haha!! good luck stan!! you can start a rent-a-boyfriend service!! haha!! oh boy i hate meeting the parents!! haha.. :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Daniel has bad experience meeting the parents? Haha, blog about it man!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i did say bad. i just said dont like. haha.. anyway i dont kiss and tell.. :P ahaha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Yitong for the compliments. I am sure you have also improved alot on writing and have become more critical when analyzing a situation.

    And Daniel, blog about it! Hahahax

    ReplyDelete